Both copyright and trademark are the most important tools for protecting intellectual business property, but the most important is what you need the most would be confusing. The most frequently used and confusing terms in the business world registration process are trademarks and copyrights. It would be quite essential to understand these terms for a business owner who creates unique goods in the stream of commerce. In this blog, we Trade & Trade at Coimbatore and Tirupur have given details about the difference between Trademark and Copyright.
List for Copyright:
- Original Writing in other forms.
- Computer Software.
- Audio and Video materials forms.
A list of that Can’t be included in the Copyright:
- Common Properties like calendars or weight and height charts.
- Ingredients listed in a recipe or instructions.
List of Trademark Items:
- Business Names
- Brand Name.
Different between trademark and Copyright
Based on the following point you will get a clear idea and understanding of trademarks and copyright.
- Target Objects: The target objects for protection in copyright are artistic, musical works, and dramatic, whereas for trademark its domain name, trade name, slogan, tagline, and logo.
- Purpose: The copyright purpose is to grant permission for exclusive right use and distribution. In contrast, the purpose of a trademark is to retain the mark for the company service or product in the market.
- Benefit: The trademark prevents the competitor in the market from creating or using the same text or marks in their product or service branding and more over the purpose of a trademark is to establish trust in customers. Copyright protection is from prohibits others from selling or reproducing the creator’s work offline or online.
- Exclusivity: In trademark has an advantage as it can retain the product or services of the company whereas the copyright holder can get financial gain for the protection acts.
- Recognition: Trademarks give recognition to the customer or end consumer for the product or service whereas in contracts the copyright gives recognition for the original work aspects.
- Validity Duration: Trademark registration has a validity period of 10 years and has to be renewed 10 years once where as the copyright is a lifetime validity.
- Identification Symbol: The ® sign after the logo, product, or service indicated they are trademarks registered, in copyright © symbol to protect the original creator’s works.
Even though both trademark and copyright give protection to the creation, in simple terms copyright can be geared to give protection towards artistic and literary works like videos and books whereas trademarks protect the products and items that define a brand of a company like a logo as such. Contact Trade & Trade at Coimbatore and Tirupur to get your trademark registration and copyright registration.